I NEVER fold my quilts. How many times have you seen a fabulous piece ruined by huge creases right down the middle of it? Once those deep wrinkles are there, no amount of effort can get them out. I'm on a one-woman campaign to keep quilters from folding their quilts. Roll them instead!
Because my work is usually not huge, I have an easier time with storage than if my quilts were all full-sized. I have found swimming noodles to be the perfect size around which to roll quilts. The noodles are long, lightweight and can be cut easily. And they're cheap - $1.50 or so at the dollar store. Right now is the time to stock up, as they'll disappear once pool season is over.
If your work is large, try to store your quilts flat. My Aunt Alda layered her antique quilts on a bed in an upstairs guest room. The Princess and the Pea pile was protected from light and dust by a cotton Martha Washington spread.
Below are photos and instructions on making drawstring quilt storage bags. They can be whipped up in very little time from those '80's fabrics we all have lying around. I have many of them in various sizes to fit my work.