Thursday, June 7, 2007

The Kindness of Strangers

While driving home from the NC Quilt Symposium recently, I decided to treat myself to a short shopping adventure at the Shelby (NC) Dollar Tree "Where everything's a dollar!" I was back in my car in less than five minutes. I settled in, then decided I wanted a CD from the back seat (Michael Hedges, Live on the Double Planet - wicked cool!). Got out to go around and instantly realized I'd locked myself out! Big Trouble! My purse, cell phone, AAA card, extra key - every single thing was locked in my car, which was running with the A/C going full blast! Not to panic, but it was late on a very hot Sunday of Memorial Day weekend!

Stranger #1: A wonderful gentlemen very kindly called the Shelby Police Department and requested a squad car. I did not get his name, but judging from the cap he was wearing, he's a Carolina fan.

Stranger #2: Officer M. N. Bannen, a member of the Shelby Police, pulled up within 15 minutes. Although skeptical that he could unlock my car, he was patiently persistant. Success! Yeah! I was finally on my way home once again.

This experience made me realize just how easily a situation like this can occur. It also reconfirmed my belief that most people are basically kind. I was blessed to meet two of them that Sunday afternoon. Thanks, guys!

May we all pay it forward.