Surface Design StudyTechniques used: Hand-dyeing, painting, stamping, resists, scrunched, hand and machine stitching.
After years of teaching surface design, I had lots of samples lying around. Late last year I decided to turn several of the fabrics I'd created into a small wall hanging. The study was originally framed. It looked okay, but not great.
After looking at it for a while, I changed my mind about the framing. I felt the glass over the stitching detracted from the tactile qualities of the piece. I also didn't like the fused binding I'd used. I knew as soon as I'd started to fuse it that it was not the look I wanted, but it was too late. Using a fusible is not an easily reversed decision.
The piece is now out of the frame where it can breathe! Here are a couple close-ups of the quilt's more textural areas.
I often leave frayed edges of fabric as a textural element. I'm also a fan of loose threads and the combination of machine and hand stitching in the same piece.
Elmer's School Glue Gel makes a wonderful resist. Its pointed top is great for writing and drawing. The glue takes a long time to dry, so plan ahead. BTW - our drug and grocery stores carry this product. Look for the blue stuff and make sure it is the No Run Gel.
Deka Silk paint was used for the pinkish-rose colored stitched Shibori. Using a variegated floss, I accentuated the resist lines with free-form embroidery. Triple wavy lines of multi-colored orange threads accentuate the hand-dyed purple fabric.
Caran D'ache Neocolor Crayons are a favorite tool. I like them for coloring a whole piece of fabric. Sometimes the fabric is damp when colored; other times it is colored and then spritzed with water and "finger-painted."I've put this piece aside while I ponder the next step. I may keep it just as an example of a less than desirable fused binding!
