I included fabrics depicting things which were special to the kids. Not to be found was kayak fabric. I'd looked everywhere and nearly given up when my sister made an amazing find. The kayak is red - just like Matthew's! How cool is that? Wanting to use it in one of the corner blocks, I tucked it away...so far away that I couldn't find it until long after the quilt had been completed.
But I just had to use the fabric! So I stitched an envelope to hold a very personal letter I had written - along with care instructions. It was perfect.
Below are a few pix my DH snapped of the unveiling.
Matthew's expression when he looks at Suzie is wonderful.On the coffee table are their Easter basket goodies for this year: a favorite wine (Black Mountain Pinot Noir) and green bean snacks from Trader Joe's.
I bought the last tulips available in Suzie's favorite color - orange.
Photo credit: Bill Guerrant
Note to those wondering about the pattern: The basic NY Beauty block is a variation of one by Karen Kay Buckley from a class long ago. I drafted the border blocks - inspired by a photo I'd seen somewhere - I think in a French or Australian magazine. The blue and orange had to be added as those are the kids' two favorite colors.








