Quilts for Sale

Friday, July 9, 2010

Sarah's Art Car

I believe we always end up where we're supposed to be, that so-called coincidences happen for a reason.  Yesterday, I met the most wonderful young woman when we both "just happened" to pull into the credit union at the same time.  She was driving an older, brightly painted Dodge Caravan.  As I got closer, I saw what I hadn't previously noticed.  The background of the driver's side was covered in car art script.  This is a person who obviously has a lot to say.

I told the driver and artist, Sarah, how much I liked her car.  Soon she, her father Eddie and I were chatting as if we'd known each other forever.  From her father I learned Sarah's Honors Art 4 project had been her car, on which she'd earned a grade of 100. Sarah will be attending college this fall in Ohio - also the home of acclaimed quilt artist Susan Shie. Susan is perhaps best known for the air pen writing which covers every square inch of background space on her quilts.  Who knows - maybe Sarah and Susan will run into one another in Ohio.  Wouldn't that be cool?  susanshie.blogspot.com

I wish I'd gotten a close-up of Sarah's writing.
What looks like a person examining the roof of her car, is actually
 sculpture at the credit union. 

I was caught up in conversation and so quickly taking pictures, I was looking without seeingIt wasn't until I loaded the shots into my computer that I saw this was an anatomical painting of a heart with wings.  With our family history, you know that's the first thing I would have asked about.

Sarah's garden of flowers.

Sarah's car is a feast for the eyes and brain, coming and going.

Sarah and Eddie - Thanks for taking so much time to talk with me yesterday. You both blessed my day!  I'd love to hear back from you.  Please contact me by email:  ellen@ellenguerrant.com

No comments: