Quilts for Sale

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Great Side Trip

This darling shop is at an entrance to the
Blue Ridge Parkway.  Note sign to the right of the flag.

I'd never been to Fancy Gap VA, but its name always fascinated me.  A billboard for "pottery" caught my eye as I buzzed down I-77 following my trip to Blacksburg.  One exit later, I was in Fancy Gap.  I couldn't find the shop I'd planned to see, but accidently came across something ever so much more exciting.  It was purely fate; my intention was to use the shop's parking lot as a turnaround. 

Welcoming rockers seem to say, "Come and sit a spell."

Welcome

Co-owner (with Dee Dee Price) Lynn Logan was rocking on the porch.  As I got out to ask directions, I saw what a cool shop she had.  It was full of  not only locally thrown pottery, but all sorts of wonderful country and folk art whimsies, paintings, photography, bluegrass music CDs, jams, and monogrammed pillows and purses Lynn and Dee Dee make themselves. 

I loved the shop!  Lynn was gracious, giving me info on each potter whose wares she carried. Hammered dulcimer music played softly in the background as I browsed.  I'll share photos of my purchases in the next post.   



Lynn Logan
Co-owner
 
Inside Fancy Gap Designs

A sign pointing to greater Frog Spur can be seen
in front of a stone bridge on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Note the truck image, warning Hwy. 52 will be "down the mountain" as we say here,
 all the way to Mt. Airy NC.

To read more and see a slide show of Fancy Gap Designs, click here:  http://www.fancygaptourism.com/dining-and-shopping/shopping/16-fancy-gap-designs



Lynn suggested I take Hwy. 52 all the way to Mt. Airy, as the stretch has a plethora of  stands selling veggies and fruits (especially cherries), antique shops and other treasures.  Although each was enticing, I resisted the temptation to stop.  The hour was late and I still had 100 miles to drive. 

Thanks, Lynn, for a delightful afternoon.  I plan to return to the area soon - this time with friends!

1 comment:

Deb said...

Count me in for a return trip to Fancy Gap. I've been there before, but missed this delightful place! Sounds like a fun trip!