Quilts for Sale

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Current Challenge

Beads, sewn to black netting, once adorned this dress.

Sans beads.

My DIL found and fell in love with this soft orange dress at a local thrift shop.  It was decorated with tons of beads, some of which had come loose.  She thought a patchwork of blue, cream and brown fabrics would be a great substitution.

The beads were fairly easy to remove, as they were sewn to a net base.  Once I'd gotten them off, I noticed the triangles weren't uniform in size.  My solution?  Print a copy of the beads themselves and use it as a guideline.  

Bead trim

That idea proved impractical.  Next, I cut a paper pattern for the proposed patchwork and folded it into equal segments.  Not a winner either.  After fooling around with ideas for a while, I decided to do my own little Project Runway!

The dress was draped on a dress form (also found at the thrift store years ago).  I was amazed at how much easier it was to design the patchwork on the actual dress.  My prototype was finished tonight.  After a bit of tweaking, I'll do the final stitching tomorrow.

This has been a challenge, as I don't usually work within certain parameters.  But I enjoy figuring out how to make things work, so this has been fun. 

Film at 11.

No comments: