Quilts for Sale

Monday, April 19, 2010

Facing a Quilt

Salt Water Taffy 
Approximately 19" Square

Back of quilt showing 2" facing.

Instead of a traditional binding, I used a facing on my latest work. Although my Mother was a 4-H leader and I've been sewing since I was 10, I did a Google search to view several methods. I'm not sure I'd use the one I chose next time. Here's why:

1. It was difficult to miter the facing AFTER it was stitched to the quilt. The quilt's bulkiness made marking a 45 degree angle awkward and inprecise.

2. I didn't like the look resulting from not being able to take the understitching (which keeps the facing from rolling to the front of the quilt) all the way to the corners.

I really like the look of the piece without the distraction of a binding and know I'll use this kind of finish again.  But first, I'm going to do a bit of experimenting.  Next time I'll either miter the facing before stitching it to the quilt OR use four separate strips of fabric for the facings. Either way, I'll hand-stitch the facing and not fuse it down.

No comments: