Quilts for Sale

Monday, March 29, 2010

Outsider Art


This afternoon I happened upon two outsider art pieces signed by "Phosphorea".  Obviously a free spirit, this artist used spray and spatter paint on the back of a paint store.  I especially like the teal and red combo.

I'm drawn to (pun intended) graffiti, especially that of the late Jean-Michel Basquiat (December 22, 1960 – August 12, 1988) who signed his art SAMO.  If you google his name you'll find a plethora of info.  You can see the artist at work in this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXjR-y0WH-I

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Just goes to show how beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I see nothing in his art that moves me... I grew up in NY, and graffiti makes my skin crawl. I think I've always been an old soul and my taste in art shows it, LOL! Picasso would have starved if it had been up to me. HAHAHA. Give me some Warren Kimbal and my heart is happy. I told you I was an old soul! =)
Thanks so much for introducing me to Basquiat. I spent the last hour hopping around the net reading about him and watching interviews. I now have watching the movie of his life on my to do list. I had never heard of him and his story was indeed fascinating. I don't care for modern art but the thought process behind it
intrigues me. Thanks again for broadening my horizons. B=)

Ellen Guerrant said...

Hi Brenda - I'm glad you checked out Basquiat. His art, to me, was so fresh and innovative - and seemingly effortless. I'm glad there is film of him creating.
Thanks so much for reading my blog and commenting.