Quilts for Sale

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Trying Hard Now - Escaping Reality

California Salad from Charley's

Having just learned my car needs four new tires, I need two crowns, we need a new roof, our grandpuppy needed surgery* and outrageous property taxes are due Dec. 31, I escaped reality today by having lunch with a friend. When I left the house, there were two men on the roof repairing flashing around our dormers. Never a good sign.

Once we'd gotten to Charley's, I chose a lovely grilled chicken salad sans bleu cheese (am I the only one in the world not fond of bleu cheese?). Debby's chicken pot pie looked divine! It was actually a business lunch, as Deb will help me vend at a needlework show in January. We were working on the booth layout. Really. We were.

Following lunch, I treated myself to a wee bit of retail therapy, buying the latest issue of Cloth Papers Scissors, a box of 50% off Christmas cards and a publication new to me - Art Quilting Studio. My next stop was Marshall's. Good grief! It was as if every person in the world had just been let out for an hour of shopping! The place was mobbed; shopping carts full. This was so fabulous to see in our hard-hit city with 12% unemployment!

The theme song from Rocky would have conveyed the mood today perfectly:

"Gonna Fly Now" - Rocky
Music by Bill Conti and Carol Connors
Lyric by Ayn Robbins

Trying hard now
it's so hard now
trying hard now

Getting strong now
won't be long now
getting strong now

Gonna fly now
flying high now
gonna fly, fly, fly...


Coming back. Coming back. Yup. Looks like we'll make it after all!

*Numa's surgery for a skin tag and facial cyst went well this morning. She's home, still a bit groggy but resting comfortably.

1 comment:

Deb said...

Ellen, it was a lovely time spent with you! And yes my lunch was wonderful! A very nice chicken pot pie, very light though with a puff pastry topping and no bottom crust, just perfect! Oh yes and rice as a side that I incorporated into the chicken pie sauce. It was perfect! Sorry I had to run, but the next appointment is the Friday before our show, so I will not be in any hurry at all! So we'll have to do it again and this time my treat! Go to my blog for a picture of my food!