Quilts for Sale

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

More Inspiration


508 - a train car in Paxton IL, the town of my great-grandmother's birth.
Note: A favorite photo my son Matthew took years ago on the Outer Banks was the inspiration for this shot.


This hen has been a fixture on my sister and BIL's farm for over 50 years.
The former owners left her, stating "This is where she belongs."

Great bark!

I loved the patina on this water meter cover - Veedersburg IN

The squares on this meter would be great for surface design.

My niece's husband spotted this on the University of Illinois campus.
Thanks, Matt!


Rusty old faucets really speak to me.

Past these grain bins, you can see forever.

More than 15 years ago I took a class at QSDS (Quilt Surface Design Symposium) with David Walker. It was life-changing, forever altering the way in which I work. He taught us the importance of listening to our hearts, of letting the work come from our souls. I'm in a listening phase right now, and sense the images which spoke to me in the midwest will greatly influence my future work.

2 comments:

Vaughan e said...

Ellen.
Everything in your photographs are all the things Gordon and I are drawn to...these photos are me..
the train numbers, the old water meter covers, the faucet, the bark. are we related???

Ellen Guerrant said...

Vaughan - I'm so glad you like my photos. I've always been into funky old stuff, and the heartland is a treasure trove. My love of 'things old' probably started when I was a kid tagging along to the junk yard with my father.

You might be interested in my son's photo blog Pho Word or any of the Matt Guerrant sites - all links in my sidebar.

Peace - Ellen.