Quilts for Sale

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Always on the Hunt

I've collected vintage textiles and sewing items since I began quilting. I continued my hunt for such treasures in two cool antique shops we found while in the midwest recently.

An amazing 1886 brick and mortar building in Veedersburg IN is home to The Tacky Apron and More. Inside - two of my most favorite items - great antiques and bread! The shop also offers old-timey bottled pop. I chose a classic Green River, a brand I hadn't seen since my childhood! Need I say more?

The Tacky Apron and More........ Antiques and Bakery
115 N. Main, Veedersburg IN

A glimpse of yummy baked offerings at 'The Tacky Apron and More'
We bought a cream-cheese streudel to take to my sister's. Divine!

We discovered the recently opened Mena's Mercantile, 151 N. Market St. in Paxton IL after lunch at The Tin Pan (home of the most amazing onion rings I've ever seen!). Debi Chapman Hermann, proprietor, gave my DH full run of the place for photos. Thanks, Debi!

This old Singer in its cabinet caught my eye.
I bought a vintage 1940's doll quilt, an old cross-stitched on linen sampler and a funky little thread and needle holder at Mena's.

Debi has an incredible collection of old kitchen containers -
the kind of stuff I love!


An overview of Mena's from Debi's office.

Mena's also has a basement. I love what Debi has done with the walls!

Everything, and I mean everything, in the basement is just 50 cents!

More of the stuff from the 'Mena's Mercantile' basement.

By the way, Paxton sponsors a town-wide garage sale June 5 and 6.
www.paxtonil.com

All Photos: Bill Guerrant


No comments: