Quilts for Sale

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Art Once More

Log Cabin variation using fabrics I hand-dyed.
20" x 23"

I've just begun the hand embroidery/quilting.

I'm finally getting back to my art! From a stack of small pieces waiting to be finished, I decided to work on this log cabin variation made at least four years ago. The hand-dyed fabric logs will be quilted/embroidered with two strands of DMC embroidery floss. I like to use a crewel needle. It is very sharp yet has a large, easy-to-thread eye. In previous quilts I always matched the floss to the fabric color. This time, I will use funky combinations.

I've always loved hand-work, especially embroidery. From the time I was a young girl, embroidering hope chest pillowcases from Woolworth's Aunt Martha's patterns, I've found this type of stitching to be very soothing. My preferred method is rather mindless, but extremely satisfying. I can sit and stitch and dream of quilts yet to be.

No comments: