Quilts for Sale

Friday, February 20, 2009

Studio Day

Puppy Shampoo

I was too tired last evening to do anything on the wedding quilt except trim the excess batting and backing. My original plan was to make the binding so I could begin stitching early this morning after cardiac rehab. I found my chosen blue fabric is all in long strips only 12" wide (leftover from cutting the border), not nearly adequate for making bias binding. This may force me to make a trip to Mary Jo's! Oh my.

In yesterday's post I did not mention that the quilting designs had been marked with pencil. It never occured to me to tell them to not use pencil as I really did not think anyone still used that technique. (I use chalk or a silver pencil which rubs off easily.) I called the quilter for guidelines on removing the marks. They recommend using a commercial drum-type washing machine, cold water and Cheer. Apparently they have this question a lot, as washing instructions were to have been in with the quilt.

Even though every fabric used in the quilt (including some very dark navies) was prewashed I am very hesitant to wash it. An on-line search about removing pencil lines was not reassuring. I've come up with an unconventional method for getting the marks out: Mix a couple of drops of puppy shampoo (the mildest thing we had in the house) with lukewarm water. Dip a corner of a white wash cloth into the mixture (don't get the cloth too wet) and gently rub the pencil marks. So far, so good!

I hope there are a couple of good movies on tv - as this will probably take me all day! But I'm very fussy about this type of thing.

No comments: