Quilts for Sale

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Quilt Restoration

Repairs are now complete on this 1982 Shoo Fly design.

The first bedsize quilt I ever made was a Shoo Fly. It was the quilt on my son Matthew's first big bed, the one he ran his Matchbox cars on, pretending the three sashing strips were roads. It is now the quilt he and his wife Suzie snuggle under when watching tv. I brought it home at Christmas, as it had a few repair issues - after a mere 27 years of use! You may remember seeing the photos I posted Dec. 31

This large hole near the center of the quilt was the most challenging repair. It was missing both fabric and batting.

I still had some of the original fabric which had come very close to being donated not three months ago. A "little voice" told me to pull it out of the box!

The major repair

The blue calico had faded a bit, but not as much as I would have expected. You can see that the replaced strip is much brighter. Muslin from the removed hanging sleeve was used to replace the half-square triangle.


Just one more hole.

I've made several small repairs on the backing and replaced the entire binding. (See my tutorial, parts one and two - Jan. 25 and 28.) Just one more half square triangle to replace and I'll be finished (hopefully by the end of the Super Bowl). It really felt great to be sewing again.

No comments: