Quilts for Sale

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Laundering a Quilt

The wedding quilt saga continues. After trying unsuccessfully to remove pencil marks made by the quilter and snarling and fussing for three days, I took the plunge. I actually washed the quilt!

Yikes! Double yikes!!! I was a nervous wreck, standing in front of the commercial machine with its ever growing mound of suds, watching for a tell-tale sign that some fabric somewhere had run. But all is well. Sigh! Double sigh of relief!!! The quilt came through fine with just one tiny spot of blue dye where it shouldn't be. I can easily fix that and am not concerned.

Agitation from a regular home washing machine is what tears up quilts. I went to a laundromat with extra large front loading machines which gently toss loads. I used Orvus paste I'd dissolved in warm water at home, a little Synthrapol and a cold water wash/rinse. The pencil marks are gone and colors preserved. I'm happy.

2 comments:

Willa said...

Hi Ellen,

I enjoyed seeing your work at Mint Hill Arts--- and am really happy that washing your quilt turned out so well.

Also wanted to let you know about an organ concert by Todd Wilson at St. John's, Monday, March 9, 7:30 p.m. Free and open to the public. I am sure this will be quite different from the DAV concert but should be really special.

Willa

Ellen Guerrant said...

Thanks, Willa. We'll try to make the concert. It sounds wonderful.
Ellen.