Quilts for Sale

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Stress-free Greetings

New Year's Greetings
Stamped and ready to go.

More than a decade ago during a very stressful year, I was late sending our Christmas cards. So many people said they loved our New Years letter, as it came after the holidays when they could relax and actually sit down to read it. Aha! A tradition was born!

Epiphany, January 6, is our 'mail by' date. If we'd had enough stamps we would have made it yesterday! But we didn't and it really was OK.

This Christmas we received a few E-cards. I completely understand why some have chosen to go this route. I sent about 12 myself to people for whom I had no address. Cards and letters are expensive as is postage. And if one chooses to include a photo, there is that additional cost.

But I'm not ready to give up sending real, as in hold in one's hand, letters and cards. I treasure them, especially the ones whose sender has scribbled a personal note. I love reading them again after Christmas. And the photos! They are precious to me, as I so seldom see my family.

I used to keep every single card and letter which came into this house but it got ridiculous after a while. Now I save them for a while, then pull the letters which are a written history in themselves, and of course every photo.

With a card or letter which someone took the time to write, stamp and mail I have something lasting. A card and perhaps a photo. With E-cards? Once it's out of your inbox it's gone forever. And then what do you have?

No comments: