Quilts for Sale

Friday, January 23, 2009

I'm Turning the Page!

OK, I'm through cleaning. Well that's a little misleading. I've been cleaning/sorting/purging for months and feel as if I've made no progress at all. If I keep this up, I'll still be cleaning the day I die! So I'm turning the page - leaving mundane tasks in pursuit of creativity! The cleaning can wait.

This futile exercise has been extremely frustrating and exhausting. I have to remind myself that I've accomplished a lot; it just doesn't seem like it! There is SO much more to do.

I began my studio revamp November 3. It's January 23 and I have yet to use the room except for one mending project! The space is ready for me - all I have to do is make working on my art a priority.

Below are before and after pictures of the studio and guest room. Yes, they really were that bad.

STUDIO AFTER

Freshly painted studio with fabric shelves in place.

Studio Entrance

Studio with my new Horn cabinet set-up.
The newly built cutting table is visible in the lower left of the photo.

STUDIO BEFORE - COMPLETE CHAOS!

The desk was given away.

Everything was removed from this wall which will eventually hold
an attractive
bulletin board. I'm still looking for one I like.

You might remember I emptied my studio completely prior to having it painted. Everything that was in the studio was moved across the hall en masse. I've been going through each and every single box - one by one- culling and organizing. Ugh!!! The guest bedroom has gone from this:

Now this is disturbing. Yes - that is a Singer featherweight machine on the bed - one of five I'm restoring to sell.

If we hadn't had houseguests last weekend, I'd still be trying to find the bed. Believe me - it's in there somewhere!

There's nothing quite so calming as a freshly made bed.

The stack to the left of the dresser is for ebay. It may be some time
before prices rise on the auction site. Until then............

I developed the "ninety percent syndrome" when I got to this corner. Things are sorted, but there's no place to put anything. Amongst the plunder: three boxes of old records - some quite collectible, a Rubbermaid container of solid color fabrics, a box of vintage linens, a box of dolls I created in the 1980's, slide trays, photographs and vintage Fisher Price toys.
Mercy me.

4 comments:

SCquiltaddict said...

silly of course it was that bad...mine looked the same way when i moved everything around...heaps and heaps everywhere and on the bed...that was the easiest place to heap...it looks great now!!

do you have a design wall? didnt see it?

Ann Ferguson said...

Hi Ellen, I know exactly where you're coming from. I'm in the process of re-organising too and haven't used my studio to SEW in since I started. Fortunatly it's only been a week and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I've posted some photos too, but as I'm new to blogging some didn't seem to come out... will be doing the before and after later this week (I hope!)
Your studio looks great now. Congratulations!

Linda M. Poole said...

what a beautiful job you did organizing....bet you are exhausted! But...the efforts are magnificent. Now you just sit there and enjoy it before you cause chaos again when creating!!! Thanks for posting this.
Linda
htto://www.lindampoole.com
My Blog: http://www.lmpoole.blogspot.com

Ada said...

Hi Ellen,
My studio cleaning left me exhausted but I think it was worth it. Yours sure looks beautiful! Looks like you get great light too.
Thanks for posting,

Dolores