Quilts for Sale

Monday, January 5, 2009

A Clean Slate

Whenever I've heard the phrase "a clean slate" I've thought, "A new start, a fresh beginning. Period." I'd never really thought about the more expansive definition found in The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy: "The phrase comes from the use of chalk and slates in classrooms in the past. By wiping the slate clean, a student could remove any evidence of a mistake." Usingenglish.com refers to it this way: "If you start something with a clean slate then nothing bad from your past is taken into account." I prefer my more simplistic definition.

Now is the perfect time for it, no matter how you define "a clean slate." In our house, we begin by removing the Christmas tree, packing up the ornaments and holiday china and in essence, making "a clean sweep" of things. Only then do I feel I can begin something new.

My to do list for 2009 is long and unfortunately contains things I'd hoped to accomplish in 2008. Much time last year was consumed by important personal projects and serious health issues. In spite of that, I was able to finish many things. Tomorrow - the list! I know you're as excited as I am. xoxox

No comments: