Quilts for Sale

Saturday, December 6, 2008

To Faux .................or Not to Faux

Last year's tree.

We're hosting a Chili supper Wednesday night for my DH's brother and sister and their spouses. We'll need the dining room table for that. The biggest flat surface in the house currently serves as a desk for my husband, a temporary (?) holding area for my paperwork, mostly medical, and a depository for anything else needing a home. But since we'd used the table just nine days ago for Thanksgiving, clearing it wasn't that difficult. Mission accomplished, I then tackled the mystery corner by the piano.

We thought we were going to have a garage sale last summer. But I had a heart attack instead. So, there were several overflowing boxes which had been sitting in the dining room for so long I no longer even noticed they were there! Now that's disturbing. Not surprisingly, I was able to part with at least half the stuff which went to donation heaven. I kept one small box of merchandise to sell on ebay and just one container of garage sale items.

Once the boxes were gone, I saw how horrible the floor looked. I'm not sure what happened or when, but most of the finish was gone. Down on my hands and knees, I applied my standard fix for worn and scratched wood - Old English Scratch Cover. Amazing stuff. I'll let it sit for at least 24 hours before wiping off the excess.

I also gave our old 19th century upright piano, purchased for me by my father when I was just 10 years old, the Old English treatment. What a difference!

With most of the house picked up, my DH and I got into decorating mode. Should we walk down to the corner for a tree? All day long we had watched trucks and cars, trees strapped to their roofs, head up our street. Knowing how much time I spend decorating a tree, I quickly calculated the number of hours between now and Wednesday. "How about getting a pre-lit artificial tree this year?" I suggested. Uh oh. DH is not going for it. "I really like the smell of the balsam," he said. To faux or not to faux? Decision deferred.

Instead, DH took it upon himself to get our window lights installed. That job always takes awhile, as we have lots of windows and not many outlets. This translates to power strips, adaptors and lots of extension cords. Our dormers are lit also, and a spotlight illuminates our blue front door. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

1 comment:

Exuberant Color said...

I am guilty of the clutter that sits so long I no longer notice it. Every once in awhile you have to be a "guest" at your own house and walk around and notice things that visitors see.