Quilts for Sale

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve

My parents' wedding picture -
Christmas Eve
1935

Christmas Eve is an especially emotional time for me. Hearing a child's clear voice singing "Morning Star, O cheering sight! Ere Thou cam'st how dark earth's night" at our Moravian church's Love Feast evokes memories of our son singing the same sweet song when he was in first grade.

Christmas Eve also marks the anniversary of my parents. They were married in the parsonage of the Methodist Church in DeKalb IL with my aunt Alda and uncle Floyd as witnesses. A newspaper society page noted, "The bride wore one of the new smart tweed suits and a corsage of Talisman roses. Christmas carols were played on the organ." After my father died, the beautiful Silent Night always brought my mother to tears.

Both have been gone for many, many years. I still miss them more than I could ever have imagined. They were quite a couple - devoted to each other for nearly 50 years.

No comments: