Quilts for Sale

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Bees Knees

A few years ago I fell on a plane. Yes, they wanted me to see a doctor but I was rushing to a family funeral. The injury to my left knee was very painful and became increasingly worse. I was able to be wheeled to a rental car and make the 100 mile drive to my sister's, but was not able to get out of the car. So I called her from my cell. My nephew and BIL were able to roll me into the house on an office chair. It was a sight to behold. Believe me.

With rest and care, my knee eventually got better. But if I'm not careful, it will go out as they say in the south. A couple of months ago it decided to do just that. But this time it not only went out, the pain caused me to fall down. Not a good thing - but it did keep me off the treadmill at rehab for a couple of mornings.

My primary care doctor, guessing I had a torn meniscus, decided it was time for me to see an orthopedist. That was in early November. My appointment was not until today.

I arrived 30 minutes early only to find the doctor was running over an hour late. When it was finally my turn, both my knee and right hip were x-rayed. I was then seen by three different doctors who pronounced me fine - no abnormalities found. Well, people who know me well would disagree with that!

So what caused all the pain? I was told we can sometimes just twist a little bit wrong and pull part of the knee. I was also told that, given enough time, a torn meniscus will heal itself. Now that's news I could have used BEFORE the appointment! If it happens again? Buzz right over for a cortisone shot! And my hip? It is assumed the pain is coming from a ruptured disc suffered nearly 20 years ago!

Good grief! I feel as if I wasted my entire morning and the doctors' too. I'm going to rely on home remedies only for my joints: RICE - rest, ice, compression and elevation. I'm going to heal myself!

No comments: