Quilts for Sale

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Treasures Unearthed

Years ago I bought an old kitchen cupboard at a yard sale. It now sits in the upstairs hall just outside the studio - turned upside down as that shelf configuration suited me better. Because I'm not putting much furniture back in the newly painted studio, I need storage elsewhere. The last two days I've been culling the cupboard contents, purging actually. In the process, I found these treasures hidden away.

These cigar boxes were hidden in the back of the cupboard.

I'd been looking for the stencil and calico buttons (right side of photo) I knew I had.

I have a huge collection of vintage buttons and sewing paraphenalia.

All of my other buttons are stored together in the studio closet. I can't remember why I decided to keep these in cigar boxes as they've been there so long!

I have a very small collection of old stamps. The set on the bottom was once owned by someone named D D White, as the name is stamped inside the box lid.

I love the circa 1950 graphic on this box.

If you look closely, you'll see the comic book characters on these stamps purchased at an estate sale. I recognize Little Orphan Annie, Popeye and Olive Oyl. Does anyone know the other two? Please let me know if you do.

No comments: