Quilts for Sale

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Barnful of Quilts

On the second Saturday in October each year a magnificent barn is literally transformed into a gallery for quilts and other arts. Valerie Fox, an extraordinarily generous woman, holds a one-day event to benefit her church - Waxhaw Presbyterian. A Barnful of Quilts is truly a delight. This year I was honored to be the featured contemporary quilt artist.


The magnificent barn at Fox Family Farms http://www.foxfamilyfarm.com/
where Valerie Fox raises grand national winning Paso Fino horses.

One of Valerie's mares and her colt.


Heartstrings, the quilt Valerie chose for the publicity postcard, is displayed at the entrance to the circle arena.

Detail

This shot shows how tall the walls in the circle gallery are. My DH and I had just finished hanging the show.

My friend, superstar Susan Brubaker Knapp took this photo of me on show day. Susan, also a part of Barnful this year, has posted tons of fabulous pictures about the event. Be sure to check her blog: http://wwwbluemoonriver.blogspot.com/

There were 104 linear feet to cover in my gallery area. I placed a few pieces from my pastel period near very cool blue and green chairs Valerie loaned me.

An aeriel view of the same area.

The table area was set up to hold my portfolio, postcards and bio sheets. I made a foam-core form to hold the child's jacket. Hand-painted silk scarves hung in front of a stationary center post covered with a patchwork quilt bag. My favorite scarf went home with my long-time friend Vivian.

We Fix Broken Hearts was hung in the center of the long wall.

Detail


Continuing to the right.......

Valerie's red and purple chairs looked great with the first quilt in my heart series - Hold on My Heart....Throw Me a Lifeline.

Another small table held more postcards and bio sheets, my Moo cards, hand-dyed fabrics and patterns.

I wish everyone could have experienced the sixth annual Barnful. It was a great, great day. The women of Waxhaw Presbyterian Church prepared and served a delicious lunch of sandwiches, fresh fruit and four different kinds of home-made soups. Yum! Everyone was so helpful and kind - especially Valerie. Crowds were great. Not only were many quilting friends there, but I saw people I hadn't seen in over twenty years! Several women who'd been members of my guild way back in the 1980s, when it had 35 members, stopped by. A dear friend of my husband's drove many, many miles to see the show. Thank you, Ann.

I left the show with such a warm feeling in my heart. It was a joy and a priviledge to be a small part of A Barnful of Quilts 2008.


Valerie's home, a very old part of which was moved to the property. This warm and welcoming house has soul.


A grand view from one of the delightful porches

Beautiful barn window.

Photos by Bill Guerrant unless otherwise stated.

3 comments:

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Ellen, this is wonderful! Wish I could have been there to see it in person. Congratulations!

Twisted Sister said...

what a beautiful setting to show off your lovely work. I love the curve of the wall and how you can see everything in one place. Thank you for sharing so many pictures. And congratulations to you!
Jamie Fingal

KarenF said...

Congratulations on a terrific show! I've always loved your heart quilts...wish I could have gotten down there to see them in person. What a wonderful venue you had!