Quilts for Sale

Monday, September 1, 2008

A Salute to Labor

Do you remember this song?

Look for the union label
When you are buying a coat, dress or blouse.
Remember somewhere our union's sewing
our wages going to feed the kids and run the house,
We work hard but who's complaining.
Thanks to the I.L.G.* we're paying our way,
So, always look for the union label,
it says we're able
to make it in the U.S.A.

Written by Paula Green in 1975 as an advertising gimick to combat anti-union sentiment in Congress, the ditty was commissioned by a strong labor union begun in New York City. The *International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union, consisting primarily of females, was one of the most important groups in labor history of the 1920's and '30's.

As one who grew up when everyone I knew (including my father) sewed, I was always fascinated by the tune. I even imagined myself one day living in New York City, stitching away for the ILGWU!

To all the union members and organizers out there, I salute you! Happy Labor Day!

To read about and see actual ILGWU labels, go to:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Clothing-Labels-Union-Labels-ILGWU-Labels_W0QQugidZ10000000003230636

No comments: