Quilts for Sale

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Cardiac Follow-up

My DH and I saw my cardiologist late Wednesday. All vitals are excellent - heart and lungs sound good. I do have extra heartbeats which feel like little flutters, now and then as many people do. Thank goodness it is not atrial fibrillation or arrhythmia! I will have an echocardiogram on the 29th - standard following a cardiac event.

Because I was in the hospital for such a short time and the cardiologist who did the catheterization and stents said, "You're fixed," I didn't fully realize I'd been in such danger. I asked, "Then this was really serious - as in it could have killed me?" "Yes, you came SO close."

Initially doctors were going to do a stress test, then they decided on a heart cath late in the day. I was moved to a room and kept feeling sicker and sicker and too weak to even sit. I was so nauseous I was kind of in and out, but do remember someone constantly taking my blood pressure (which had dropped to 80/30), stuff being pumped into my IVs and lots of people scurrying around. Suddenly I was being rushed to the cath lab for an emergency procedure, as I was about to throw a clot (two were found).

My DH, with all his training in crisis communication, was extremely calm through it all as were my son and DIL who arrived later in the day. We now know that if I hadn't already been in the hospital, with IVs in place when the attack occurred, I probably wouldn't be here today. The place to have a heart attack is IN the hospital, not on your kitchen floor.

3 comments:

Exuberant Color said...

A near death experience can change your life. Every day is so much clearer and beautiful, every kind word so much more valuable.

Kathryn said...

Cardiac rehab is a great followup to heart procedures. My husband went through it in 2005 after his triple bypass, and he loved that they knew how hard to push you to get you back on your feet quickly. He's back to his 4 mile walks to work. Best of luck!

natstars said...

hello Ellen...so glad God gave you a new lease on life ...many more years ahead I am sure....so good to have you in my life...God bless you and your family