Quilts for Sale

Friday, July 4, 2008

Symbols of Our Nation

For many years, I've collected vintage flag imagery. Here are a few from my stash. I love the graphic quality and the fact that most of my flags are textiles.

A 4th of July vignette at our house. The flag on the table is of a paper-like material. You can recognize an old 48-star flag at 50 paces even if you can only see a bit of it as the stars are lined up in straight
These silk party favor flags were purchased at a yard sale years ago. Although they are 50 stars, they are old and probably date to just after Alaska and Hawaii gained statehood in 1959.

I love the colors on this postcard found many years ago.

Click on the photo to read the note from Martha to her sister. This is the back of the card shown above and is dated 1913, the year of my father's birth. It is from my home state of Illinois but I found it in NC.

This print depicts WWI images and is dated 1918. I bought it in the early 1970's for just $12. It has hung in our kitchen ever since.

I remember the day I bought the WWI print. My CA sister Sharon and I were antiquing in Charlotte back in the day when the uptown had wonderful department stores - Belk's and Ivey's. There were also Woolworth's and Orange Julius as well as family operated businesses such as Simpson Photo, Brownlee Jewelry and Radcliffe Florist. On the east side of Belk's ran College Street. There were two or three fabulous junque stores there. When I worked uptown, I'd spend my lunch hours rummaging through the treasures. Nearly all of the vintage wicker in our sunroom came from these shops. The one-of-a-kind chairs were old when I bought them and are classics now.

Have a safe and wonderful 4th everyone!
xox Ellen x0x

No comments: