Quilts for Sale

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Randy Celebrates 15 Wonderful Years!

Randy and I reminisce and share a laugh at his shop which celebrated its 15th anniversary this weekend.

One of the nicest things about going to Greensboro, besides the kids living there, is that I get to see my old friend Randy. http://www.randysquitshop.com

I met Randy over 20 years ago when he took my log cabin class at Appalachian State. I had spotted him in the crowd early in the conference, as he was the tallest person in the room and was wearing a to-die-for shirt. Quilters speak a common language (known as fabric). When I rushed up to Randy to ask where he'd gotten his shirt, I learned it was a Randy original made from Alexander Henry fabrics.

When I walked into my classroom the next day, I was surprised to see Randy there, already set up - complete with his personal ironing board - set at just the right height so that he could twist and shout and sew and iron efficiently.

Although Randy told me some years later that mine was the first quilting class he'd ever taken, he obviously knew what he was doing way before that. Extremely talented, he was the first to finish the project that day - complete with borders! I was impressed then, and remain so.

Randy bought Fran's Quilt Shop in Greensboro many years ago. After a couple of location changes, Randy's Quilt Shop is now huge. It is also one of the best I've ever seen, carrying everything a quiltmaker might need and more. If you're in the Greensboro area and want a real treat, go to Randy's.

Over the years, I've witnessed not only Randy's quilting talent, but his amazing generosity, his incredible business savvy, his more than fair treatment of employees, his humor, empathy and loyalty. He's been a great help to me, as he's gotten me work, recommended me as a teacher and been a treasured friend.

Congratulations on 15 years, Randy! Luv ya! Ellen. xoxoxoxox

1 comment:

Exuberant Color said...

I can't get your link to work. My daughter lives in Weddington, just south of Charlotte and I thought maybe I should check out his website to see if I should visit next time I'm down there.