Quilts for Sale

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Mother's Quilt - Finished At Last!

Mother's quilt shown on the bed which once belonged to my parents.

After a very long delay, Mother's quilt is finished! I am relieved and yet sad. Mother was making this for herself but never got to use it. But I know my sister Sue will treasure it, as 15 of the blocks were by Mother's hands.

It took me a while to figure out how to get borders onto the quilt itself, as it was already quilted using the quilt-as-you-go technique. I finally decided to make the 18" borders separately with a sew and flip method, then stitch them to the quilt one at a time. Mitering was impossible, so the sewing order was sides first, then the top and bottom.

Working on such a large and heavy queen-size quilt was extremely difficult physically, especially in my very inadequate studio set-up. The binding was done by hand over about eight hours of watching basketball.

Sue has waited a very long time for this quilt. I'm anxious for her to have it.

2 comments:

sue said...

Ellen,
The quilt is beautiful. I can't wait to have it in a place of honor in our home. Mother would be pleased. Sue

Patty Cramer said...

Hey Girl,

I'm so happy to be a part of this wonderful project. We'll need some still shots for magazine submission - I think!!

The story is just too wonderful to not share with others!!

Love you,
Patty