Quilts for Sale

Monday, March 10, 2008

I've Been Tagged!

I've been tagged by my friend Susan Brubaker Knapp, a member of my home guild in Charlotte. Susan is an incredibly gifted quilt artist and graphic designer. For a real treat, be sure to visit her blog: http://wwwbluemoonriver.blogspot.com/

This cyber game gives bloggers a chance to let others learn more about them by listing seven things their readers might not know. Additionally, I must now tag seven other bloggers. Look for my list tomorrow!

Here are seven things you probably don't know about me:

1. I've been sewing since I was 10 but didn't begin quilting until 1980. I've made over 100 quilts and love teaching and lecturing.

We Fix Broken Hearts was created to honor those who heal. It is my most published quilt and won a 1st place from the National Quilting Association and our guild show. It was also juried into the AQS show in Paducah.

2. I grew up on a farm in northern Illinois where we raised Shetland ponies and horses. My first job was detassling corn and I once ran a power screwdriver on an assembly line! I can also saddle and bridle my own horse, hitch a team to a wagon and drive a tractor. Believe it or not, I have not used these skills since 1954!

One of the Shetland ponies on Four Sisters Farm.

3. I often have the title for a quilt before I begin making it. I have to create in solitude and quiet. My dear friend David Walker taught me, that in order for work to come from the heart, the artist has to listen to what the piece is saying.

Hold on My Heart...........Throw Me a Lifeline
The title, a line from a Genesis song, came before the quilt.

4. When my son was little, a school assignment was to finish this sentence: "My Mom likes........” His response:” kids, quilts and chocolate." Right on the money!

5. I participated in all things musical when I was in school and was honored to be selected for All State Chorus. I don't think I could live without music, which speaks a universal language.

6. When in high school, I instigated a senior class skip day, a protest against injustice and unfair treatment. While many "chickened out" those of us who did participate really bonded during the following two weeks of detention hall.



7. I was, and am, an anti-war protester. In 1969 I, and hundreds of others marched with Coretta Scott King in Washington DC. I am a proud card-carrying member of the ACLU. Amazingly, I have never been in jail.






2 comments:

Patty Cramer said...

Hey Girl,

I, too am surprised you've never been arrested. Of course, I think I'm the only one in the family who's been read their rights. Bogus Postal Management!!

Right On Sister - Peace & Love Baby

Susan Brubaker Knapp said...

So glad I tagged you, ’cause now I know you a little bit better! You know, there's still time to get arrested...

Peace! Susan