Quilts for Sale

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Blessings on a Cold Sunday

A friend who owns an antique shop had a call from a woman wanting to sell her grandmother's sewing machine. Since he doesn't take such items, he called me - the resident collector of "all things sewing related." I met said woman and her daughter in a parking lot this afternoon. The machine turned out to be a Singer featherweight in very nice condition. I was a bit hesitant to buy it, as the bobbin case was missing, there were no accessories and the case is rough at best. But times are very difficult economically, especially in North Carolina and the woman's husband had just lost his job of 20 years. My heart told me to buy the machine for a fair price - then I added extra cash for groceries. It was one of those "there but for the Grace of God go I" moments.

Since I was already in the area of one of my favorite thrift shops, I went in for a look-see. I was on my way out, empty handed, when I spotted large bags of fabric against the wall. In one I could see part of a crazy quilt. For $3.50 I took a chance and bought it. To my amazement, the bag held not only the crazy quilt, but 20 blocks of a pattern I've never seen, four other odd blocks and 20 hand appliqued Sunbonnet Sues. Oh my - it was a very blessed Sunday afternoon indeed.

I'll try to add photos of my treasures later today. But first - I have to cheer for Davidson when they play Kansas at 5.

No comments: