Quilts for Sale

Monday, February 18, 2008

Presidents' Day



Abraham Lincoln
16th president of the United States.
Feb. 12, 1809 - April 15, 1865

I was born and raised in the Land of Lincoln where our 16th president was and is much revered. He was the subject of many a history lesson, and his picture hung in nearly every classroom. Each student memorized the Gettysburg Address, his most famous speech which begins: "Four score and seven years ago, our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal."

Still regarded as one of our greatest presidents, he preserved the union and emancipated the slaves. From the time I was a little girl, I've always felt a special connection to Mr. Lincoln, not just because I believe strongly in the dignity of all, but I believe what he believed and proclaimed, that "all men are created equal." The last thread connecting me to him was that he died on my birthday.

In these dark days when our nation's so-called "leaders" have destroyed
this country and nearly everything I hold dear, robbed us of our treasure and thousands of our youth, the words of Abraham Lincoln seem even more important:

"Allow the president to invade a neighboring nation whenever he shall deem it necessary to repel an invasion, and you allow him to do so whenever he may choose to say he deems it necessary for such a purpose - and you allow him to make war at pleasure. "

"Be sure to put your foot in the right place then stand firm."


We former anti-war activists banded together in the 1960's, marched and protested, argued and organized and in so doing played a major part in bringing an end to an unnecessary war. I believe it's past time to do it again! Take to the streets! Make your voices heard! PEACE NOW!

1 comment:

Patty Cramer said...

Before I could graduate from 8th Grade I had to recite the Gettysburg Address in front of the class. To this day, I can still do it!!

Lincoln brings to mind the Emancipation Proclamation. Knowing now what our history holds - and seeing so many stories lately - The Sally Hemming Story, The John Mink Story - it nearly makes me cry knowing how terrible some African Americans were treated.

Thank you President Lincoln - we salute you!!