Quilts for Sale

Monday, November 19, 2007

Preserving Family Recipes


Four Sisters Farm Cookbook, a Collection of Recipes and Memories from the Illinois Prairie

For the first few years after I left home, there were frequent calls to Mother for her recipes. And I wasn't the only one; my three sisters did the same thing, requesting instructions for Aunt Esther's candied yams, Aunt Marion's popcorn balls, or the delectable divinity our father made at Christmas - a candy none of us, including our cousin Jean who burned out a Kitchen Aid mixer in her attempt, has ever been able to duplicate!

Fifteen years ago I decided to write a family cookbook, preserving recipes from Mother, my grandmothers and aunts. Included are stories about the recipes, their origins and when they were used, old texts from our 4-H days and family photos.

The title is the same as the farm where I grew up: Four Sisters Farm. Each book is in a 3-ring binder I covered in batting and fabric. The cover from my beat up copy is shown above.

1 comment:

Rhondi said...

Hi Ellen I just discovered blogs recently and while surfing the net today I came across yours. Now I'll have to go back and read all of your previous posts. I scanned the pictures very quickly and saw that you have made some great progress with your studio!! It would be nice to get together for a cup of tea sometime. Maybe in the new year?
I have started a blog. As soon as I get it all set up I will send youthe link.