Quilts for Sale

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Famous Sugar Cookies


I have my Mother's scalloped round aluminum cookie cutter - just like the one her mother and grandmother used when making sugar cookies. I do not remember a time when visiting either grandmother that they were not in the process of baking cookies, or had just finished a huge batch. Grandma Darnell, who topped each cookie with a bit of candied cherry, kept them in a large round tin while Grandma Erb, who added a bit of lemon zest to the batter, stored hers in a huge jar. To say these treats were legendary in our family is an understatement.

The recipe from my Great Grandma Darnell, typed just as she had written it, is now being used by the fifth generation.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

This is just so great. I love the sentimentality - I ought to get out some old family recipes.