Quilts for Sale

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Fabulous Forties!

From the movies to the fashions to those amazing appliances, I am a true fan of the 1940's. In a recent thread on the quiltart internet list, many wrote of the joy of buying thrift store clothing to use in quilts - something I've been doing for more than 25 years. Most of my quilts contain recycled textiles of one type or another - from a shirt, a hanky or a humble apron. In my view, these fabrics are a big part of what give a quilt soul.

I also collect vintage neckties. Pictured below are a few silk ones from my favorite decade. Check the label pix to get a "feel" for what the old ones look like.

1 comment:

Daily Asteroid Management said...

Wonderful collection!

I have bags--and I mean literal garbage bags--full of neckties. (Hi, my name is Naomi and I'm a silk addict...there must be a 12 step program out there!)

My problem is my teenaged son steals and wears them before I can use them. I've got my eye out for those funky handpainted ties with hula girls. That would be just his style.

My locxal thrift shop is so loaded with ties they charge nothing for them. the temptation is irresistable.

Naomi in upstate NY